General Conditions of the Contract of Carriage
These General Conditions of the Contract of Carriage (hereinafter, "General Conditions") establish the conditions governing the national High Speed passenger rail transport services provided by INTERMODALIDAD DE LEVANTE, S.A. (hereinafter, "ILSA" or "the COMPANY"), as well as other complementary services provided.
In order to guarantee the safety of its customers, the COMPANY has a safety management system for which it has received the Safety Certificate as a railway company in compliance with the applicable requirements. Likewise, the COMPANY's vehicles and personnel have the authorisations, certificates and facilities to carry out their functions. An Accident Assistance Plan is also available.
These General Conditions are available for consultation at the Customer Service and ticket sales offices at the stations (Casas iryo), on the website www.iryo.eu, on the mobile application, in the Call Centre, on the travel agency portal, as well as on other distribution channels authorised by the COMPANY.
Contract of Carriage
By means of the Contract of Carriage, THE COMPANY undertakes to transport the customer and the luggage according to the general conditions, against payment of the purchase price, with the exception of children under 4 years of age, from the station of origin to the station of destination.
The conditions of carriage apply exclusively to journeys made with the Company. These conditions do not apply to commuter tickets or other types of transport/services that are offered by the COMPANY and operated by another company, being applicable Titles 4, 6 and 7 of the CIV Rules, with regard to the responsibility of the carrier, the exercise of rights by passengers and the relations between carriers.
The transport document or ticket is the document that formalises the transport contract between the COMPANY and the passenger. It is a transport ticket that can be presented on a printed paper document or on a digital device.
Customers with a ticket entitling them to travel may use the rail transport service provided in accordance with the current Rail Sector Act (currently Act 38/2015 of 29 September). Children under four years of age, who do not occupy a seat, do not require a ticket.
Content of the transport document
The transport document shall state at least the following:
1. The identification of the railway undertaking(s) that will carry out the transport.
2. The origin of the journey and departure time.
3. The destination and time of arrival.
4. Transfers that may occur with a change of train, specifying place and time.
5. The coach, class and seat number.
6. The weight and volume of baggage allowed.
7. The price of transport, specifying that it includes all taxes.
8. Information on the insurances covered by the service.
9. The time limit for presentation at security controls for access to transport vehicles, if set by the rail infrastructure manager.
10. Submission to the Uniform Rules (CIV).
Validity of the transport document
The transport document or tickets shall be registered and issued for the train, service and date specified with a designated seat.
To be admitted, the customer must be in possession of a valid ticket for the train and service to be used with all the information necessary to define the content of the ticket. Tickets are valid for the day, train and service shown on the ticket.
The customer is required to be identified at the start of the journey. In the event of theft, loss or destruction of the travel document, a duplicate may be issued after identification of the traveller.
The ticket is personal and non-transferable.
Transport tickets which have been damaged, amended, scratched or laminated shall not be considered valid.
The following information will be provided by the COMPANY upon request by the traveller:
1. General conditions applicable to the contract.
2. Timetables and conditions for the fastest journey.
3. Timetables and conditions for all available fares, prominently displaying the cheapest fares.
4. Accessibility, accessibility conditions and availability of on-board facilities for disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility.
5. Availability of bicycle capacity and access conditions.
6. Seats or places available in the different existing classes.
7. Activities that may disrupt or delay services (planned and real time).
8. Availability of on-board facilities, including Wifi and toilets.
9. Availability of on-board services, including assistance to passengers provided by the COMPANY's personnel.
10. Pre-purchase information indicating whether the ticket(s) constitute a combined ticket.
11. Procedures for recovering lost luggage.
12. Complaints procedures.
Information during the trip
The COMPANY will provide travellers with the following information during the journey:
13. On-board services and facilities specific to each train, including Wi-Fi.
14. Station stops.
15. Disruptions and delays (planned and real time)
16. Main liaison services of the COMPANY.
17. Mandatory security issues.
The COMPANY has several different areas on board its trains according to which it determines the commercial service it offers. Customers will be informed of the performance of each service through their sales channels.
The method of purchase is as follows:
1. Individual ticket: depending on the offer available.
Tickets are valid for the day, train, level of service and seat shown on the ticket.
The discounts established in the current legislation on Large Families will be applicable, and travellers must prove their status as beneficiaries at the time of purchase by means of the official certificates issued by the competent administration.
Customers can purchase tickets at station offices (Casas Iryo), authorised retailers, through the website www.iryo.eu, on the mobile application and any other channel or technological tool that will be identified and authorised by the COMPANY to ensure maximum distribution.
The customer must check the details of the ticket at the time of issue: date of travel, origin and destination, train, class, service and fare, and that they are in accordance with the customer's request. Any complaint about the ticket issued and the amount of the ticket must be made at that moment and no later complaints will be accepted.
At the COMPANY's own sales outlets, the hours of dispatch shall be visibly indicated.
Any ticket issued may be cancelled under the conditions set out below, unless limited or excluded in the specific conditions to which the ticket is subject.
Cancellations are allowed with a penalty according to the conditions of the type of ticket that the customer has purchased and the refund will be made in the payment method used for the purchase, such as bank card or by means of a voucher for that amount automatically in the email defined during the purchase process. The refund request must be made within seven (7) days of the cancellation request. The COMPANY is not responsible for delays that are the responsibility of the issuers of the customers' bank cards. However, special cancellation conditions may be laid down for certain types of ticket.
Payment for tickets, as well as for any of the ancillary services offered by the COMPANY, shall be made by electronic means of payment only, in accordance with the health recommendations arising from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Any hand luggage that the customer can carry with them, which is easy to transport and intended for the journey, is considered as luggage.
Up to 3 pieces of luggage may be carried provided they are placed in the space provided without interfering with security measures on board the train. The client must properly place the luggage that he/she is carrying, to avoid possible damage or inconvenience to other passengers, damage to the equipment, being the sole responsibility of the client the surveillance of the same.
These 3 pieces can be:
1. 2 packages with a maximum size of 85x55x35cm.
2. Handbag with a maximum size of 36x27x15cm.
The total weight of the 3 pieces may not exceed 25 kg in total.
The COMPANY may apply a different baggage allowance for services contracted with specific commercial conditions, where the applicable baggage allowance for that type of fare will be expressly indicated.
Bicycles and scooters
Each customer may bring one electric bicycle or scooter as long as it is unplugged, disassembled and contained in a properly closed bag. Bicycles must have the pedals properly folded and the handlebars turned at least 90 degrees.
In both cases the dimensions must not exceed those set out in the general conditions of sale.
Bicycles and scooters shall be loaded, stored and unloaded by their carriers. The customer carrying a bicycle or scooter must at all times take due care to ensure the safety and comfort of other passengers, and is responsible for any damage that may be caused to the train and to third parties. The custody and surveillance of these shall be the sole responsibility of the passenger.
Pets or domestic animals
A maximum of one pet is allowed per person with the weights indicated in our general terms and conditions of sale. It shall be limited to small pets, defined as dogs, cats, ferrets and non-poultry birds.
The animal must comply with health, hygiene and safety conditions, and have documentation in accordance with current legislation. Custody and supervision of pets is the sole responsibility of their owners/carriers.
The transport of the pet must be communicated prior to the trip or at the boarding gate at an additional cost. Animals will travel on one ticket without occupying a seat.
Guide and assistance dogs have no additional cost, nor are they subject to weight or transport limitations, and can travel with their owner. Trainers and socialisation agents have the same access rights as users of guide dogs and assistance dogs when accompanied by them during training. They must also be properly identified.
Domestic animals or pets referred to as "emotional support" are allowed as long as, in addition to the corresponding identification of the pet, the client presents the medical certificate that certifies them as "emotional support" during the trip.
The General Conditions of Sale define the maximum number of pushchairs per ticket. Pushchairs must be folded and placed in the dedicated space. This information must be provided during the purchase process.
Luggage prohibited on board trains
The carriage of packages containing hazardous materials such as: explosives, flammable, flammable, chemical or toxic, radioactive, biochemical or corrosive products is prohibited.
The carriage of weapons without a licence or document of ownership is prohibited. Products intended for wholesale trade, narcotics and illegal substances are also prohibited.
Customers must properly place the luggage they are carrying in the places designated for this purpose, avoiding causing possible damage or inconvenience to other passengers and staff on board the trains, as well as damage to equipment and disrupting railway operations. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to take care of their luggage.
Infants and children from 0 to 3 years old at the time of the first boarding will travel free of charge without occupying a seat. For them, there are baby changing facilities in all the train's toilets.
For the booking, the age of the infants and children at the time of travel will be taken into account (in the case of a return trip, the age of the infant or child at the time of departure will be taken into account).
Children between the ages of 4 and 13 will travel at a reduced fare according to the children's fare available in the sales channels.
Children between 14 and 18 years old pay the standard rate.
The COMPANY does not offer an unaccompanied minor travel service. Minors always travel under the responsibility of their parents or legal guardians.
The COMPANY recommends that minors always travel accompanied by an adult. In any case, minors aged 14 or over may travel without an accompanying person, bearing in mind that they travel under the responsibility and with the consent of their parents or legal guardians.
Disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility Accessibility
According to the applicable regulations, the Administrador de Infraestructuras Ferroviarias (hereinafter, "ADIF") is responsible for ensuring access to stations and boarding areas for disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility, so that they can board and disembark the train.
The spaces provided for wheelchair users on COMPANY trains are strictly reserved for them.
Assistance at stations
1- Communication and information:
The COMPANY provides disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility with information on the accessibility of the rail services offered, as well as the conditions of access to the rolling stock and about the facilities on board the train.
2- Accessibility and the need for accompaniment:
According to the applicable regulations, ADIF, in its capacity as manager of railway infrastructure and in particular of stations, is responsible for ensuring access for disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility to stations and boarding areas, so that these persons can board the outbound train and disembark the inbound train. For its part, the COMPANY, through the services contracted with ADIF, ensures the boarding and alighting of trains and, within them, accessibility to its on-board services and equipment. The COMPANY collaborates with ADIF so that disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility can enjoy a safe journey with the rights granted to them by law.
Cancellations, interruptions, delays Cancellations
Cancellation of the journey is understood to mean the impossibility of starting the journey under the conditions foreseen in the ticket.
In the event of cancellation of a scheduled trip by the COMPANY, the COMPANY will make every effort to inform the customer as soon as possible and in the most convenient manner.
1. If the cancellation occurs within forty-eight (48) hours prior to the scheduled start of the journey, the COMPANY shall be obliged, at the passenger's choice, to provide transport on another train or other means of transport under equivalent conditions to those agreed, or to refund the price paid for the service.
2. If the passenger is informed of the cancellation of the journey within four (4) hours before the start of the journey, he/she shall also be entitled to compensation consisting of double the amount of the ticket.
Interruption of the journey means the stoppage of the journey while it is in progress.
In the event of interruption of the journey, the COMPANY shall be obliged to provide the passenger, as soon as possible, with transport on another train or another mode of transport, under conditions equivalent to those agreed.
In addition, in the event that the interruption lasts for more than one hour, the COMPANY shall be obliged, where appropriate, to pay for the traveller's board and lodging expenses for the duration of the interruption.
In the event of a change in the timetable foreseen in the ticket before the departure date, the COMPANY will do its utmost to inform the customer as soon as possible and in the most convenient way.
In the event that the passenger is delayed by at least sixty (60) minutes at the station of arrival in relation to the time schedule on the ticket, the COMPANY will compensate the passenger for this delay, without the passenger losing his or her right to transport, under the following conditions:
3. Fifty percent (50%) of the fare for the ticket used, in the event of a delay in arrival at destination of more than sixty (60) minutes.
4. One hundred percent (100%) of the amount of the ticket concerned, in the event of a delay in arrival at destination of more than ninety (90) minutes.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, the COMPANY may provide for more favourable compensation in general if it deems it appropriate to do so.
Compensation will be paid in vouchers as a first option, and in cash if the customer does not want the voucher and expressly requests a cash refund.
Refusal of transport
The COMPANY is entitled to refuse transport for passengers who, through their behaviour, disturb the peace in the coaches or endanger the safety of transport.
Persons who do not submit to the security checks established for access to trains may also be denied access to transport vehicles.
Passengers refused transport shall not be entitled to reimbursement of the fare paid for the ticket.
Transfers with other means of transport or trains of different railway companies, under the corresponding combined ticket, shall be regulated according to the provisions of the legislation in force, as well as in the agreements and contracts signed between the different companies.
Rights and obligations of travellers
Users of the services provided by the COMPANY shall enjoy the following rights:
1. To have access to the publication, sufficiently in advance, of the timetable of services and the corresponding prices.
2. To contract for the provision of rail services to or from any station where passengers are picked up or set down.
3. To receive the service in adequate conditions of safety and quality, paying, where appropriate, the corresponding prices according to the applicable tariffs and fees.
4. To conclude a transport contract with the railway undertaking in accordance with the legislation in force on land transport and consumer and user protection.
5. To be informed of the procedures established to resolve disputes that may arise in connection with rail transport.
6. To be compensated for the damages caused to them, in the event of non-compliance by the COMPANY of the obligations that correspond to them, in accordance with the provisions of the applicable regulations.
7. To be informed of the insurance policies or guarantees that the COMPANY has contracted to guarantee its liability, information that will be available to passengers at the Assistance Offices and ticket sales at the stations (Casas iryo), on the website www.iryo.eu, on the mobile application, in the Call Centre, on the travel agency portal, as well as other distribution channels authorised by the COMPANY.
8. To be informed of the existence of these General Conditions, which will be at their disposal in the same terms as those set out in the previous section.
9. Any others recognised by the regulations in force.
Customers will also have the right to make claims for any breach of the transport contract produced during the provision of a passenger transport service and may be submitted both electronically and physically, in ticket sales facilities, stations or trains of the COMPANY that has provided it, within a period of THREE (3) MONTHS from the time they have knowledge of the event that caused them.
Obligations of travellers
Users of the services provided by the COMPANY shall have, among others, the following obligations:
10. To have in their possession, for the duration of the journey, the corresponding transport ticket.
11. Follow the indications given by the COMPANY in relation to the correct provision of the service, as well as the indications to this end on the signs placed in view in the facilities and cars.
12. To respect the measures and controls that may be established in terms of civil protection and security.
13. The client must take the necessary precautions and ensure, as far as they are concerned, the safety and security of themselves, persons and animals in their custody, as well as the safety of their belongings.
Passengers are not allowed access to areas for the exclusive use of the COMPANY, except in the cases foreseen or authorised. Passage through service areas is permitted only if necessary for the passenger service.
It is forbidden to open the external doors of vehicles and to get in or out of them when they are not completely stopped.
It is also forbidden to board or alight on the opposite side to that established for the passenger service or through openings other than those intended for that purpose.
Passengers are also prohibited from using train equipment in any other way, and in particular safety equipment which must be used only and exclusively in case of real need.
The provisions of these General Terms and Conditions shall not apply in the event of the grounds for exemption expressly provided for in the CIV Regulations for the different cases of liability.
Any request for information, clarifications and complaints may be sent to the COMPANY's Customer Service Centre remotely, via www.iryo.eu, in order to keep track of the requests received.
However, it is also possible to send a request by post to our offices, at Calle Méndez Álvaro, 56, 5ª planta, 28045 Madrid. In addition, the COMPANY has a complaints book/sheet available for customers to request from attendants on trains and at stations.
The official complaint form can also be accessed and downloaded electronically at www.iryo.eu.
The Customer Service Centre will respond within one month and, if this is not possible, will inform the customer of the new deadline. This period shall not exceed THREE (3) MONTHS from the date of receipt of the complaint.
In order to guarantee the fundamental right to the protection of personal data, travellers are informed that in order to provide the contracted transport service it is necessary to process their data, so that INTERMODALIDAD DE LEVANTE, S.A. must access and collect their identification data, the details of the journey or the preferences they express regarding the conditions of transport. On the other hand, only if authorised by the customer, or on the basis of the contractual relationship, personal data may also be used to receive marketing communications related to the services contracted with the COMPANY. The COMPANY will retain customer data in accordance with the periods of time indicated in the specific legislation applicable to the processing carried out or, where appropriate, until the customer requests the deletion of their information or expresses their opposition to the processing collected here. The data will not be communicated to third parties unless legally obliged to do so or required by an administrative or judicial authority. On the other hand, the data may also be communicated to those partners who provide an essential service within the transport contracted through the sale of the ticket, such as assistance services offered to persons with reduced mobility or on-board catering services.
Pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (hereinafter "GDPR" or "the Regulation"), and Law 3/2018 on the Protection of Personal Data and Guarantee of Digital Rights (hereinafter "LOPDGDD"), customers have the following rights:
1. Right to access.
2. Right to rectification.
3. Right of deletion.
4. Right to object.
5. Right to limitation of processing.
6. Right to data portability.
7. The right not to be subject to automated individual decision-making, including profiling.
1. Directive 2012/34/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 November 2012 establishing a single European railway area.
2. Regulation (EC) No 1371/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2007 on rail passengers' rights and obligations.
3. Law 38/2015 of 29 September, on the railway sector.
4. Royal Decree 2387/2004 of 30 December 2004, approving the Railway Sector Regulations.
Claims and passenger accidents
You can access the passenger claims and accidents platform by clicking here.